The Boeing Insitu ScanEagle drones are relatively small, high endurance UAVs. These drones are built by Insitu which is a subsidiary of Boeing. The drones was originally designed for fish-spotting which provides insight on its exceptional surveillance capabilities. Pakistan, apart from attack drones, needs drones that can patrol a certain area in order to root out terrorists and overlook regions with unrest. The ScanEagle drones can also be deployed at the Pak-Afghan and Indo-Pak borders so to provide effective monitoring.
It is to note that the ScanEagle drones, as evident by the name, was created for scanning and can perform various functions, and therefore is unarmed and has no such utility. These drones are short ranged and can be controlled up to 62 miles or 100 kilometers, and can reach as high as 5,900 meters. These drones can fly for a total of over 24 hours at cruise (60 knots / 69 mph / 111 km/h). Equipped with a high-resolution day and night camera with thermal vision, the ScanEagle drones can reach a maximum speed of 80 knots (92 mph / 148km/h). The camera on these drones can function perfectly in bad weather conditions or other low-vision scenarios.
According to sources, Pakistan has been able to sign a deal with the United States whereby Pakistan will receive the ScanEagle drones and its base at a cost of $10.52 million. Including one base system, the total drone units could be 12-15. It was further learned that 90% work on these ScanEagle drones will be completed in the States while the remaining 10% will be handled by Pakistan. ScanEagle drones should fill the gaps in security, especially in the tribal and border regions.
These drones apart from the indigenous drone, Burraq, are essential to beef up security in Pakistan and more such UAVs should be acquired.You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ for more updates. Otherwise fill in the subscription box above, or subscribe to our RSS Feed.